Keeping up with SRUCSA – January 2021
What have we done in January?
This is the first in what will be a monthly update from SRUCSA on everything that we are working on. We will be putting these out each month to initiate conversations with SRUC students to check in that we are working on the right things. If you have a question about anything included here, get in touch or book a meeting with us.
- We have had discussions about mitigating circumstances and a no detriment policies. This included meetings with officers from other SAs the outcome is that SRUC have introduced a five-day extension to all Degree honours projects.
- We have started to use our website blog more to try and inform our students about us.
- We held a Brew Monday Event it was open to all students, we personally invited some students that we have interacted with.
- We asked these students to ‘pay it forward’ and hold events with people they know.
- Led by NUS we signed a letter with the other SAs across the to the First minister to ask that Students are provided with better support.
- We encouraged students to email their MSPs to ask for further funding for students.
- We have arranged for the HoLT to speak with our class reps about the changes to the timetable and future proposed changes this is happening on the 9th of February.
- We had have been meeting bi-weekly with The Principal and Academic Director. This allows us to raise important issues directly and be kept up to date on plans for teaching during lock-down and any return to campus.
- We were made aware that there were plans to change the Skiffington Cottage facility to SAC consulting office. We do not agree that a student facility should be used for the consultancy and have been pushing to be involved in consultations and will be pushing for an equal facility to be provided.
- We held of class rep student Panel meeting for our class reps in the North Faculty.
- We have been working with NSoA to arrange a consultation session with our apprentices to understand what SRUC apprentices need from a Students’ Association.
- We received 11k from SFC to help us support our students during the pandemic. We will be deciding on how we best use this funding very shortly.
- We attended the NEON and the Enhancement Themes Theme Leaders Group. The CELT are hiring two paid student interns. We are also looking for two class reps to take part in the enhancement themes group.
- We had a re prioritisation meeting to re-focus on our time up until March.
- We decided to relaunch our student sessions focusing in on groups that may be more affected by the continued lockdown as well as open sessions
- We have relaunched our OpenDoor sessions.
- We have made some changes to how we run our elections. We have created a committee who will advise on how we maximise impact.
What has gone well this Month?
- Our focus on reaching out to our students have led us to have some great conversations with our students.
- Cara wrote to the MSPs and got replies that confirmed they backed giving students more support.
What will we be doing differently?
We will be putting out weekly updates to students. As well as these monthly updates.