Student President & Vice President
The Student President and Vice-President are full-time, paid sabbatical officers and are elected by the student body.
Any student can stand for election and successful candidates take a year out from study or stay on after graduation to carry out the role.
The main responsibility of the sabbatical officers is to ensure the student voice is heard at the highest levels of SRUC. They represent students at the SRUC Board of Directors and the Education Board.
These board meetings deal with major, strategic level issues within SRUC. The sabbatical officers are included in these meetings to give the student perspective on all the major issues discussed.
They share responsibility for chairing the SRUCSA Executive Team which is made up of Campus & Postgraduate officers.
The sabbatical officers are responsible for helping steer the Executive Team to high level strategic decisions on behalf of the association and student body.
The SRUCSA constitution has a full breakdown of the Sabbatical Officer’s remit.
These Sabbatical posts are elected every year. It doesn't matter which campus, course, level or mode of study - any SRUC student can stand in the election.
As well as the chance to make a real difference to the lives of students at SRUC there are a number of amazing personal benefits to being a SRUCSA Officer:
- the fantastic opportunity to run and direct a student-led organisation with a large budget and a membership of several thousand students
- exceptional experience which sends you leaps and bounds up the career ladder in comparison to other recent graduates - invaluable for any future career
- develop your skills in areas such as project management, planning and running a campaign, advocacy
- Involvement with the National Union of Students (NUS) and the numerous social and political campaigns they carry out across the UK
- training and support to help you carry out your role
- competitive salary